The National Institute for Food and Agriculture (NIFA) published the fiscal year (FY) 2023 Veterinary Services Grant Program (VSGP) Request for Applications. The purpose of the Veterinary Services Grant Program is to relieve veterinarian shortage situations and support food animal veterinary services. There are two types of grants for VSGP:
- The Education, Extension, and Training (EET) grants will be made available on a competitive basis to qualified entities to develop, implement and sustain veterinary services through education, training, recruitment, placement and retention of veterinarians, veterinary technicians and students of veterinary medicine and veterinary technology.
- The Rural Practice Enhancement (RPE) grants will also be made to establish or expand veterinary practices in rural areas. VSGP was appropriated $4 million in funding for FY 2023. The deadline for applications is March 29 at 5:00 p.m.
Additionally, NIFA published the FY 2023 veterinary shortage situation areas submitted by State Animal Health Officials. NIFA received 237 veterinary shortage area nominations which are now available for both VSGP and Veterinary Medicine Loan Repayment Program (VMLRP) applicants to review on the Veterinary Services Shortage Situations Map.
The designated shortage areas in Virginia for this year include the following:
- Albemarle, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson Counties
- Bedford, Campbell, Amherst Counties
- Tazewell and Russell Counties
- Botetourt and Franklin Counties
- Public Practice – at VDACS labs located in Wytheville, Lynchburg, Harrisonburg or Warrenton
NIFA will host two live FAQ events where interested applicants will have the opportunity to ask questions regarding VSGP applications directly to the VSGP team. Registration is required and can be accessed by clicking on the following buttons: