Who Ya Gonna Call?

Andrew Smith
Senior Assistant Director
Governmental Relations
No, this isn’t an ad for the remake of the 1984 classic Ghostbusters movie, nor do I want this to be a scary topic.

One of the subjects I get the most calls about, and proposed resolutions this time of year is about maintenance issues that are handled by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT). Trimming trees, mowing grass, controlling invasive plants, cleaning ditches –all are major issues to farmers. We need to have clear right-of-ways and less worry of weeds invading our crops migrating from the state’s right-of-way. Many can remember the day of knowing their local highway maintenance supervisor and being able to call them up and ask for something to be done. A few years ago VDOT went to a centralized system that is taking many folks a while to warm up to. I can’t say I blame them, we all like face-to-face service or know we are talking to someone we know.

As much as many may not like the centralized system used by VDOT for reporting highway maintenance needs, it’s got big advantages. Reporting is easier whether you do it over the telephone at 800-367-ROAD (7623) or enter a request through VDOT’s online submission form. You can also go back to track the progress of your request by calling or, my favorite, online. However, I find the biggest advantage is it being centralized, allowing headquarters to be able to seeing the needs of the various areas of the state and also monitor the progress of things being taken care of. Beats your number and request being lost by a sticky note being misplaced.

I encourage anyone that needs pot holes repaired, state highway right-of-ways being cleared, or any of the items listed below to go online and submit a request here. Don’t forget to keep your reference number handy to be able to check back on the progress should you need to. Remember there are over 8 million residents in the Commonwealth, VDOT is getting a lot of requests. They operate the third largest state-maintained highway system in the country, just behind North Carolina and Texas with 57,867-miles in the state-maintained highway system.

You can place a work request to assist VDOT in maintaining Virginia’s roadways. You should submit a separate form for each request for:

Bridge work
Culvert cleaning
Curb, gutter or sidewalk repairs
Dead animal removal
Ditch cleaning
Dust control
Gravel/stone placement
Guard rail replacement
Pothole filling
Snow removal
Traffic light repairs
Traffic study
Debris removal from roadway
Tree trimming/removal
Water drainage

Remember, once submitted you can use your Call Reference Number to check on the status of your work request by either call 800-367-ROAD (7623). However the easiest is to use their tracking system online by entering your Call Reference Number here.

So, who ya gonna call? Call VDOT!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s